Tuesday, October 1, 2013

A period of consolidation

Since arriving home in mid-June after completing my most recent trip, playing songs on The Overland, I have very much enjoyed the experience of staying at home - or at least in Adelaide. It's fair to say that I'd had enough of traveling, as mind-broadening as it might be, and all I wanted to do was stay at home for a while. And so I did. I've assumed the dual roles of man about the house and musician-for-hire. It's been fab.
Each day has seen me add another dimension to this new regimen. What started as something of a holiday had evolved into days spent with a full program of work. My willingness to embrace the (Tom and Barbara) Good Life has had me learning, planting, harvesting, cooking and baking. There's been plumbing, stacking, building, keeping fit and the art of motorcycle maintenance too.
I've played loads of shows and, as is fitting for a man with a "never say no to a show" policy, venues have come in all shapes and sizes. Pubs, football clubs, restaurants, markets, bowling clubs, Race Day marquees and more. The most unusual of all my shows was down at the South Road Superway Open Day. I was playing in the middle of the road, entertaining all those who came to walk a stretch of Adelaide's latest engineering marvel. Thankfully the only vehicular traffic was the odd golf cart, ferrying VIPs and/or the infirm from one spot to another.
I've also been into Shabby Road, my home studio, and helped a pal record the theme tune for his podcast. It was great to get back behind the wheel and learn a bit more about the recording process as I went along. And I got to play banjo on a recording for the first time. Regrettably, I couldn't quite work the Stylophone into the mix.

Hello! Hello! It's good to be back.

www.davidrobinsononline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment