Thursday, November 11, 2010

Adelaide Oval

A few months ago I was sitting under cloudy summer skies in Nottingham, watching England rout Pakistan at Trent Bridge. It was a rather lovely time. This was just before the spot-fixing scandal came to light, further sullying the reputation of our friends from the subcontinent.
Today I had the pleasure of seeing England take the field against South Australia, in the second of three Ashes warm-up matches.
Shortly after the Remembrance Day commemorations were done, I made my way down to the redeveloped Adelaide Oval. They have certainly done a terrific job - the new stands look great and they are also very comfortable. I'm afraid that the Bradman Stand looks out of place now, and I expect it will be earmarked for destruction sooner rather than later...
I met and spoke with a few people I knew, shared a beer or two and thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon.
The competitive aspect of the match was almost incidental, although there were a few English batsmen that needed to find form. It was great just to be at the cricket, having a beer, watching England. I enjoyed myself so much that I am going on Friday and Saturday too.

I hope that the cricket gods are smiling on the good guys over the course of what I suspect will be a very even Ashes series...

www.bleakumbrella.com

No comments:

Post a Comment