Thursday, February 2, 2012

High Flying Noel

On Tuesday and Wednesday of this week I was in Melbourne. I went across, with a mate, to see Noel Gallagher play at The Palais Theatre in St Kilda. Sure, I could have seen him do a set in Adelaide at the Big Day Out, but the gig would have been of a much shorter duration and I would have had to contend with Soundgarden playing at the same time on the other stage. So it was off to Melbourne...
The concert was brilliant. A reasonably well-oiled and expectant crowd packed the sold-out Palais, and (It's Good) To Be Free welcomed us all to the show. After a couple of songs Noel invited everyone to stand up. Everyone did, and stayed standing until the gig was done. I guess you don't mess with Noel; even the mellow 45 year-old version knows what he wants, and expects to get it.
The set was evenly split between songs from the new album and timeless Noel classics, made famous by that other band. The High Flying Birds' album is great so I wouldn't have cared if he'd just done new stuff, but I was happy to hear Whatever, Talk Tonight, Half the World Away and the rousing Don't Look Back in Anger, a fitting closer.

Seemingly, the entire audience was happy to sing those last two out loud. Without being asked.

Setlist:
  1. (It's Good) To Be Free (Oasis)
  2. Mucky Fingers (Oasis)
  3. Everybody's on the Run
  4. Dream On
  5. If I Had a Gun...
  6. The Good Rebel
  7. The Death of You and Me
  8. Freaky Teeth
  9. Whatever (Oasis)
  10. Supersonic (Oasis)
  11. (I Wanna Live in a Dream in My) Record Machine
  12. AKA... What a Life!
  13. Talk Tonight (Oasis)
  14. Soldier Boys and Jesus Freaks
  15. AKA... Broken Arrow
  16. Half The World Away (Oasis)
  17. (Stranded On) The Wrong Beach
Encore:
  1. Little By Little (Oasis)
  2. The Importance of Being Idle (Oasis)
  3. Don't Look Back In Anger (Oasis)
www.bleakumbrella.com

No comments:

Post a Comment