Saturday, May 9, 2015

Record Store Day 2015

I've always loved vinyl. Apart from a brief period in the 1990s, I've always bought vinyl. I still do. I'm not so interested in buying modern vinyl, it seems little more than an artistic affectation. I just trawl through shelves and boxes looking for decent LPs from back when 12 inches of black plastic was the only way to go. So I was delighted when I was invited to play three songs to celebrate Record Store Day 2015 at Mr V Music at Semaphore.
We were asked to play songs from the first record we ever bought, or something close to it. My first album was The Essential Beatles, which was pretty lucky for me in terms of song selection. My second-ever album was Touch Me by Gary Glitter, which may not have proved so listener friendly. I was going to play three Beatles songs but that seemed a little too safe, especially after hearing Ben Searcy play crazy versions of 'Jailbreak' and 'YMCA' as part of his set. I decided to broaden my selections. I ended up playing 'Hold Me Close', the seventies' David Essex hit which I've been trotting out from time to time recently, 'What Have You Done?' (one of my latest songs) and 'Norwegian Wood' - I can just about approximate the sitar riff. Great fun.
I managed to avoid the rain that blew in and out through the day, caught up with a few friends and acquaintances, got a Mr V sticker for my guitar case, and earmarked an LP - 1974's Five-a-Side by Ace (it now sits in my collection). Happy Record Store Day!

www.davidrobinsononline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment