Tuesday, May 12, 2015

The last eight months (part one)

Since Yours Truly wrapped up the Shining Light Tour, I've settled into a fairly busy and regular performing routine.
I appeared at Mr V Music on the Labour Day weekend, as part of the Semaphore Music Festival. It was pleasing to appear in the artists listing, once again, even if it was in a very, very small font. The show went pretty well, standing amongst the bags of fertilizer in the driveway of Semaphore Garden & Pets. I probably wasn't the biggest sack of sh*t on stage that afternoon... It was great to be back at Semaphore, catching up with musical friends.
My annual appearance at the Tarlee Community Markets on Labour Day started out pretty well, but freak winds threatened to blow me, the market and the town away in the afternoon, leading to an earlier finish than planned.
In late-October I was lucky enough to be part of the inaugural Melrose Music Muster, a three-day festival in the mid-north of South Australia. I wanted to make the trip worthwhile, so I worked pretty hard to ensure I'd be playing a number of shows. As it turned out, the rescheduled Rolling Stones' Adelaide concert fell on the Saturday night, so it meant I could only be in Melrose on Friday night/Saturday morning, or Sunday afternoon/evening. I plumped for Sunday and we drove up that morning. I'd organised to play five shows in five different venues that afternoon and evening, pretty much back-to-back. One each in both of the pubs, one at the Melrose Museum, one in the Art Gallery, and one out the front of Over The Edge, the mountain bike shop. I went from the North Star Hotel at the top of the main street, down to the pub at the bottom, playing the three other venues along Main North Road in between. After my pretty solid gigging effort, it was time to sit out on the front verandah of the Mount Remarkable Hotel, kicking back with my fellow performers over a few beers, and watching an amazing storm light up the night sky.
I broke my guitar in November. It happened when the case toppled over and landed flat on its face. I had no idea there had been any damage until I arrived at the Railway Hotel to play a show and opened my case. I nearly fell over when I saw that I'd snapped the head clean off. My first rational thoughts were about how I would get through the gig; luckily my friend and all 'round good-guy Vic was nearby and lent me his old Maton. I soldiered on and the night was pretty groovy, even if I was a little distracted now and again. Thankfully, my Taylor was repaired by Steve Salvi and is still going strong.

www.davidrobinsononline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment