Tuesday, May 12, 2015

The last eight months (part two)

More adventures...
I road-tested my Billy Bragg showcase, Workers Playtime, at a show at The Gaslight, which was another first. Me, a tribute act, whatever next? I'd been vaguely thinking about doing something like this for a few years, but I was a long way from convinced that this was a direction in which I wanted to head. I love playing Billy Bragg songs, but as a complete set? I decided to throw caution to the wind and have some fun. So I did it. The concert turned out to be quite enjoyable and it went down well will the modest crowd. I'll probably do it again. Very occasionally.
I played 'Where Have All The Flowers Gone?', accompanying Mary Webb and Emma Woolcock, on Three D Radio, as part of the worldwide Armistice Pals project. The project marked the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the Great War and brought many voices together to make recordings of Pete Seeger's classic anti-war song, reflecting the fact that the suffering caused by war doesn't play favourites.
Yours Truly did a three-show mini tour just before Christmas, including a decent night (back) at the Hotel Elliot and another Whitmore show.
On a hot summer's night in February I appeared at A Night on the Green at Sacred Heart College. I was part of a three-act bill which also included Ronnie Taheny and Ben Ford-Davies. It was a happy crowd and a very enjoyable night, all for a good cause.
I've played a couple of shows for Bicycle SA. I appeared on an outside stage at the Dirty Weekend mountain bike festival in late-April, and then at Tanunda in front of 200+ mountain bikers and crew as part of the 2015 Outback Odyssey.
The suburban gigs continue: Nook Nosh, Railway Hotel, Hotel Metro, Gaslight Tavern, Cafe Luna Rosso, The Austral and others all help to fill my working week. Most Sundays I enjoy a couple of hours' workout at the Adelaide Showgrounds Farmers Market, fine-tuning songs while I entertain the patrons.
Throw in Record Store Day and the Laura Folk Fair, and it is pretty clear that I haven't been loafing around.

www.davidrobinsononline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment