Saturday, May 14, 2011

Mawson: Day 15 - Reflections

I'm on the bus. All around me, people are sneezing and coughing, and I wonder how healthy the next eight hours are going to be. I try and snooze...
My mind is filled with fast-flying recollections. Kangaroos hopping across the trails only metres ahead of me, emus lying dead on the road, and a giant wedge-tailed eagle skipping out onto the path in front of us. Arriving at the top of ascents, stopping to breathe, sweat and swear. The crash of the bike as it smashes its way through another creek bed, the speed of some of the crazy downhills, and my screaming, screaming legs. Cold mornings, warm afternoons, cloudy days. The ice-cold Pale Ale I'd enjoyed at Laura. Crowded dinner tents, vegetarian lasagna, salad. Bloody salad. Seeing old friends and making some new ones. Feeling good, feeling sick, feeling tired. Feeling ecstatic upon arrival at Blinman.
That's four times now that I have done this trip. Is that enough? Will I be back? Who knows, ask me in a few months...
What I do know is, that I am ready for a hot bath and my own bed. I smell like a camel and look worse.
Home, James.

www.bleakumbrella.com

No comments:

Post a Comment