Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Belper Town 1 v Derby County XI 1

Last night I made my only trip to Christchurch Meadow for 2010. Last time I was here I watched Belper Town play on four occasions. This time it hasn't been quite so easy, with Belper's away fixtures, our other commitments, and general timing issues all getting in the way.
Despite the singularity of the occasion, I could not have picked a better pre-season match to attend because the visitors were a representative side from Derby County. It was in no way a full-strength County side, but I recognised a few names on the team sheet.

Although music is the central plank of my life, it is fair to say that I have quite a lot of enthusiasm for sport. The big occasions are exciting and attractive, but I reserve a special love for grassroots events. Watching Belper Town is one of those things...

It was a good size crowd of 810, probably something to do with the visitors. It was a pleasant, warm evening, which also would have helped. The first half of the match was an open, skilful affair, and we saw two goals. Chris Wood scored a cracker for The Nailers after being gifted the ball, before Rob Hulse equalised for the Rams later in the half. Nailers' goalkeeper Danny Hancock made some good saves to keep the scores level. Conor Doyle shone for Derby, and I will be very surprised if he isn't signed permanently. The second stanza was a little more scratchy, with both sides making five substitutions, but still an enjoyable way to spend my evening. I walked out of the ground and into the dusky evening, surrounded by good Derbyshire banter. I was very glad to be part of it all.

I caught a taxi home to Bargate, and I was surprised to find that the driver was the same bloke who'd picked me up after my last night game, two years ago...

www.bleakumbrella.com

1 comment:

  1. So he's Derby's only taxi driver?

    Hamonymoose Boob

    ReplyDelete