Sunday, March 6, 2011

Skanking on Saturday night...

I went to see Sydney ska outfit Backy Skank last night. I was looking forward to my evening; stumbling across ska music back in 1980 was a great moment personally. The music, the look, the attitude - it was all so fresh and exciting.
The band played loads of songs I expected to hear, and a whole bunch of stuff I'd never heard before. I assume they were the band's originals. They were part of a four act show, comprising some high-energy ska and some meandering reggae.
I wondered if anyone else I knew from back in the heady days of One Step Beyond and More Specials would be there. I usually see vaguely familiar faces at these type of gigs. Sure enough, I'd not been there too long when a chap approached me and began the process of working out where he knew me from. Out came all the familiar names, the venues etc. I certainly remembered him from somewhere, but couldn't quite attach his face or name to any specific adventures. He was probably an older/younger brother, or a boyfriend, or someone's mate who wasn't really into the whole mod thing...
A little later I said hello to someone I haven't spoken with for 25+ years. I'd seen him dancing (something I just don't do), and made my way over a little later on. We'd both had a couple of pints, and it was a very nice feeling to renew acquaintances with an old Vespa riding mate. Small world. Nice to see you again, Steve...
Happy days.

www.bleakumbrella.com

No comments:

Post a Comment