Tuesday, August 21, 2012

King of the Bus

I've been busking at the Sunday Farmers' Market recently. I thought it would be a good thing to do because it's better than a music room rehearsal, I like the market environment, and it's only around the corner. You have to go through an application process; not very punk rock I know, but it's a pretty good gig.
The vibe of the place is great. I'm not generally a busker, but this is a performance opportunity within a community, and I don't feel that I am at the mercy of some of the more aggrocultural elements of society. As I might be if I was playing in the Mall...
It's great way to work on new songs, to meet people, and to make connections with stall holders and other artisans.
The challenge of playing for three-four hours straight without resorting to music sheets or repeating songs has also been great. I've been dragging out originals and covers that I'd forgotten I wrote/knew - what a hoot!
It's not just coins and notes that find their way into the guitar case. Last week I also got a couple of bottles of (delicious) organic wine, a bag of apples, and an iced coffee.

I hope this continues for a while yet. It's been fun so far.

www.bleakumbrella.com

No comments:

Post a Comment