Monday, December 6, 2010

Happy days, indeed...

Another rather large day at the cricket. Followed by a rollicking night at PJ O'Brien's...

It was an early start; I was hoping to get the undercover seats so that I would be afforded some relief from the sun. I'd had a quietish night, so I felt fit & well and ready for a day's cricket. The joyous ringing of the church bells meant that it had to be Sunday. The day of rest. For some.
The morning session saw the reaching of milestone after milestone, the only blot being Alastair Cook's failure to achieve 150. Mind you, 148 isn't too bad...
It was more of the same after lunch. Plenty of runs, and a few beers. The Barmy Army was pretty quiet, leading me to think that they'd perhaps had a good Saturday night in Adelaide. Pietersen's masterful double hundred was appropriately acknowledged by the crowd - I guess they don't really hate him that much...
My mate finally turned up at 2.30, only six and a half hours late.
The rain arrived, as promised, just after tea. It meant that no further play was possible and the day ended prematurely. The Australians were happy, and will be hoping for more delays throughout Monday and Tuesday. The forecast indicates that their wishes may come true.
A few of us caught a taxi up to the pub, where we spent the night in the company of friends; chatting, drinking and singing.
Before I knew it, Sunday had become Monday and I could hear my bed calling. I said goodbye to my mates, some for the last time on this tour, and poured myself into a taxi.
Happy days, indeed.

www.bleakumbrella.com

No comments:

Post a Comment