Friday, July 1, 2011

Dizzy

I got out of bed the other Sunday, quite early as it happened, to prepare for a mountain bike ride. My Saturday night had been of a half-decent size so I wasn't overly surprised to feel a little dizzy as I lurched down the hallway.
It passed quite quickly and I didn't give it another thought.
When I went to bed that night, I had an attack of the head spins as soon as I lay down. Weird.
It was the same the next morning and night, and for the ensuing days.
Anything strange like this is a concern and, as the early morning/late night spinning persisted for over a week, I decided to consult a physician.
I was hoping it wouldn't be anything too serious, but worry is a powerful thing. After doing his best to allay the most melodramatic of my fears, the doctor pronounced a confident diagnosis of "benign positional vertigo". It turns out that its quite common, and can be helped by the execution of an exercise known as Epley's Manoeuvre, and although this is usually successful, it can always come back.

Great. Now I don't know if, on any given morning, I am going to walk into the hallway, or into the wall.

www.bleakumbrella.com

No comments:

Post a Comment