Thursday, June 10, 2010

From basic yoga to the Baader-Meinhof

It can be a joyous thing to be multi-faceted, to have an interest in many things. It can also be crippling. I remember hearing once that Syd Barrett had so many options, so many ways to apply his genius, that he found it easier to stay in bed rather than make a decision about what, precisely, to do.
I'm no Syd Barrett, so there's not a lot of genius to be applied, but I am happy to say that yesterday was one of those days where I seemed to travel effortlessly through many of the myriad aspects of my life.
I woke up early, too early after a late night performing at The Metro, but I wanted to get up and start my day. As part of my commitment to maintaining a decent level of fitness, I kicked off with some yoga. It's been a good 12 months since I attempted any stretching, so it was with some trepidation that I inserted the beginner's DVD and followed my on-screen instructor's lead. Although she was very kind, it was still pretty tough. Mind you, the backdrop of the beautiful cliffs and crashing waves of sunny Lanzarote helped soften the blow...
After the yoga, I strapped on the guitar and worked through a few songs, in preparation for Thursday's performance. I was also pushing through the week's washing while I was playing away.
Later in the morning I spent an hour or so with James Joyce and Ulysses. I'm still grappling with, but nevertheless enjoying, this weighty work.
Monty took me for a walk, and then I went food shopping.
I watched an episode of The Wire while I ate lunch. The show has been highly regarded by many, and I've just gotten around to viewing it. So far, so good.
The sun poked its head out during the afternoon, and I managed to spend about an hour in the garden, sweeping, raking, tidying and harvesting. I listened to a Curtis Mayfield album while I tidied in the kitchen.
Tea was easy, we had piles of leftover home made pizza so it was a comfort food utopia.
I treated myself to an hour of the high drama and theatre that is the world of professional darts, before watching a pretty good film about the Baader-Meinhof gang.
I went to bed reflecting on the notion that I'd had my foot in many camps through the course of the day, and I felt pretty good with that.

This blog is not, and will not become, a simple inventory of each day; I just wanted to share this particular Wednesday.

www.bleakumbrella.com

No comments:

Post a Comment